Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Our first official illness.

I ended up keeping little d home from daycare so I could take him to the doctor. Apparently my motherly instincts were spot on... because he has croup. They said it's going around and, since it's a virus, there's really not much else we can do other than what we have been doing--humidifier and keeping him upright.

Poor little guy has been sleeping for most of the morning. His little body is tired from all that fighting his immune system is doing. He should start feeling better in a few days. They said he probably got it from daycare, but wtf?, he's only gone twice. Plus, his symptoms started a week ago. So I don't know if I entirely agree with the whole he got it from daycare. Especially since it was coming from the pediatrician who was confounded as to why we would put him in daycare in the first place and had we considered a nanny? Oh, of course! We totally considered it. Right around the time you considered paying for it, biatch.

Great, now I've got Salt-n-Pepa's "Croup, croup-pay-doop, croup-pay-doop croup-pay-doop-pay-doop-pay-doop" stuck in my head. Sweetness.

"Here I go, here I go, here I go again. Mom, what's my weakness? CROUP! Okay, then..."

2 Comments:

At 2:24 PM , Blogger N said...

Poor guy!! Croup went around our daycare a few weeks ago too. S caught a bad cold but never developed the croupy cough. At the time I read up on croup just in case, and was surprised at the suggestion to take them outside when stridor hits if the steamy shower doesn't work. Something about the cold air shrinking their inflamed tissues.

Your pediatrician needs a smackdown. My mom said the same thing after Sophie got her first cold... "Why don't you just bring someone to the house to take care of her?". My response was, "Because I don't have a spare $40,000 lying around, and because, despite the germs, social interactions are central for babies' development."

Actually, in talking with a woman from my childbirth class, au peres (sp?) are substantially cheaper than daycare. I think she pays her au pere from Germany $130/week for 45 hours, in addition to providing room and board. Of course, that only works if you can afford a decent sized home, and don't mind having a someone you've never met live with you and take care of your child.

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger JRae said...

It's annoying when you realize you are smarter than your doctor. :P

Hope he feels better! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home