Totally pissed.
So you all know we got our bathroom redone last October, right? It looks lovely, but I'm only about 95% satisfied with the outcome. No, wait, 80% if you factor in the frustration of not having the job completely finished. Come to think of it, it's quickly plummeting to around the 50% mark now that I'm searching how to fix cracking grout on the internet.
Yes, the grout is cracking around the tub already. And I can tell you exactly why. Because the guy we hired to do it didn't seal the damn floor. Or the tile/grout in the shower. You don't even know how angry this makes me. In my opinion, when you're hired to do a job, you do it right and you FINISH IT.
On top of cracking, the grout is also getting discolored. Because it's not sealed, dirt's just getting ground into the light colored grout, making it look filthy. Awesome. I always wanted a floor that looks dirty ALL THE TIME.
So basically at this point, it's not just a quick fix so much as it is a total redo. The grout has to be dug out with a grout saw and redone. I knew the floor was going to turn into a nightmare when the guy told us...no, informed us...that it was up to us to seal it. Which seemed totally unacceptable to me since we hired HIM to redo our bathroom. But I kept my mouth shut. After all he is our neighbor and a relatively nice guy. He has his own home improvement business, which has "fallen on hard times", so we figured we'd help him out. Big mistake. Now I can see why he doesn't have much work coming in.
We also didn't say anything partly because we had a little toilet mishap (the toilet backed up all over the unsealed floor, and let's just say it was quite "messy") that ended up staining the grout. Which is another reason I want the grout redone. I mean, who wants shitty--figuratively and literally--grout, right?
The toilet problem wasn't our fault and the guy fixed it (apparently one of his workers did something wrong when installing it--another sign, perhaps?). But I can't help but feel like the grout wouldn't have gotten f*ed up if he'd just sealed the damn thing in a timely manner after he grouted like he was supposed to. We thought since the guy jacked up the toilet which led to the floor getting jacked up, that he was going to take care of it. We thought he was going to regrout it and seal it like he said he was going to do. Apparently, we thought wrong.
So here it is nine months later and our floor is still messed up and actually needs more work done to it then if he would have just fixed it right away like we asked him to. It doesn't look like a war zone or anything, it's looks all right. But who wants their floor to look just all right when they paid to have it look fucking phenomenal? Yeah, bathrooms aren't cheap. And dammit, if I paid for it, I want my money's worth.
Anyway. Now we'll probably have to take on this project ourselves, which means more tools and more fumbling through something we really know nothing about. We're DINKs (not for long!) for Christ's sake. We pay people to do this kind of stuff. But, since I don't really want water damage in my newly redone bathroom and our neighbor, despite repeated requests to mosey his ass back over to our house, seems completely uninterested in fixing what he fucked up, I guess we'll have to start rolling up our sleeves.
Apparently it is true that if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourgoddamnself.


4 Comments:
I'm sorry for all the crap you are dealing with regarding your bathroom.
I would have the same exact reaction as you. What is the freakin' point of spending money for someone else to do a job if they're not going to do it all?!
And the timing couldn't be worse. You don't want this to do with when you're pregnant! And you sure as heck won't have time to deal with it right after the baby arrives.
Oh NO! I don't understand why there isn't some sort of Contractors Certificate (as opposed to union) that someone just can't set themselves up as a contractor but has to pass a fucking test or your can sue their asses off.
And he's a neighbor? Shit. Sorry to hear that.
Yikes, darlin, that sucks that you're having to go through all of this.
And I applaud you for trying to do the nice thing and help out a neighbor, but I was just wondering if you checked if he was bonded and insured?
Or even registered with any type of verifiable union/association?
Just curious, because if he is, you might have some recourse. Or, if there was any signed estimate/contract that you could hold him to, if you wanted to go the route of small claims court for the cost of the repairs.
My dad used to do home rennovations and insurance repair, so I've heard horror stories when he's had to go in and patch someone else's mistake...
Yeah, no, we just kinda took his word for it. He says he's insured and all that crap, but we don't know for sure. Bad move, I know. I guess we had to learn the hard way.
Both my BILs are in the biz, but, unfortunately, they live two hours away (why we didn't just have them do it). I asked one of them if he thought it was a total redo and he doesn't think so. Just need some OxyClean, some caulk and some sealer, apparently.
Anyway, I've decided I'm too tired and too pregnant to deal with the situation (but not too tired to bitch about it!). I guess it's not like our floor is in shambles. I think it bugs me that it wasn't done right in the first place more than it does actually having to fix it.
Well, no more work for him from us, that's for sure. Which sucks for him because we've still got a lot of work to do to our house.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home